Community/Government Affairs and General Counsel
As the lead on Community/Government Affairs
and General Counsel
(CGAGC) you will be a key partner in our ability to execute LiftFund's
Mission. To be a Lifter is to believe- that no matter their background-doors should be open for everyone. We are among the leading community development financial institutions (CDFI) that have a coveted Four-Star rating from Charity Navigator. We support entrepreneurs--that work hard every day--to create a better life for themselves and their families, while providing jobs and services to the communities they serve. Lifters are working across 14 states to provide affordable, responsible credit, create and sustain jobs, and stabilize communities. Our work transforms lives!
is recognized locally and nationally for our innovation, advisory services, and ability to be at the forefront of redefining the financial services industry at the community level. If you are looking for an opportunity to impact your community—we just might have the role for you!!!
Overview of the Opportunity
LiftFund is looking for a Community/Government Affairs
and General Counsel
) to report to the CEO. The CGAGC will set and drive our community, local and federal government affairs strategic initiatives, represent and secure our small business advocacy program, and ensure LiftFund’s financial stature and prominence. Act as LiftFund’s General Counsel providing corporate legal advice, contractual review, compliance and governance oversite, and deliver regulatory advice.
Some Key Responsibilities
To Qualify You Must Have
- Keep informed on state and federal legislative and regulatory proposals affecting CDFIs.
- Advance LiftFund’s philanthropy and Grant reach agenda with ongoing advocacy to improve our financial stature as a leading CDFI.
- Economic analysis and stakeholder engagement.
- Maintain understanding of regulatory and political impacts; communicate impacts via an internal newsletter to senior leadership to ensure alignment and awareness of key drivers.
- Work closely with Philanthropy, Grants and Communications departments
- Monitor releases and feeds for proposals at the local, regional and federal level targeting small business development
- Build relationships with key staff with team support to build small business economic development programs and funding for LiftFund
- Build alliances and opportunities at all government levels to grow LiftFund’s permanent lending corpus (DMF)
- Promote LiftFund as a solution for government agencies to start, create and grow small business lending and small business education with a fee for service model. Promote the public benefit of growth on main street with limited liability on the governmental agency.
- Understand the economic development agency structure and build and implement outreach and relationship management to promote LiftFund’s products and expertise
- Identify and support policy making/legislations that strengthens LiftFund’s mission.
- Optimum standing as a member of the Texas State Bar
- Minimum 10 years of experience either as in-house counsel to a regulatory government service company or experience with a law firm providing advice to financial institutions
- 7 – 10 years of experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment, in the areas of program administration, management, or advocacy
- 12+ years of progressive experience in government affairs and/or the Washington policy community.
- Proven track-record developing and leveraging legislative and public affairs strategies to advance public policy objectives.
- Proven and effective project manager and strategic thinker with superior oral and written communications skills; excellent meeting facilitation skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles
- Strongly astute and aware of addressing community needs; ability to develop projects, initiatives, and new proposals
- Established bi-partisan relationships and experience working with both the legislative and executive branches.
- Demonstrated experience creatively leveraging a range of tools and tactics to influence policy outcomes.
- Experience engaging across policymakers, regulators, coalitions, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to provide counsel and guidance to firm officers on matters ranging from complex legal questions or inquires to routine day-to-day legal matters
- Ability to analyze and research complex legal issues and translate such research and analysis into practical and effective advice to firm officers, including executives and senior management
- Excellent issue spotting, risk assessment, and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and deadlines
It Would Be Great If You Had
Check us out on LinkedIn and at Liftfund.com. Apply here or at our website.
LiftFund provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
- Bilingual in English & Spanish
- Nonprofit industry experience